What is a Trixie Bet in Football? Meaning & Calculator28th February 2019 / lee
When you hear punters talking about a Trixie, you aren’t talking about the lady down the street in the betting shop, this is a multiple bet that is hugely popular with punters, especially those who like to have a flutter on horse racing. But it is something that also offers a lot of appeal as well when it comes to football betting because it is a good way to try and bolster your returns from short-priced selections.
Whichever bookmaker that you use, be it bet365 or William Hill you will find it pretty easy to build yourself a Trixie bet. All that you need to do is find yourself three selections that you fancy backing and that’s it.
How does a Trixie bet work?
So down to the bare essentials of the Trixie bet. This is a type of full cover bet but the important thing about this is that the wager does NOT include any singles in it. To build yourself a Trixie bet you make three selections and you are looking for teams who can back each other up by taking victories.
Let’s say you select, Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool all to win their next Premier League games. For the Trixie, you have 3x Doubles and one Treble which makes up the Trixie bet. So you are getting:
Chelsea & Man City to win (double)
Chelsea & Liverpool to win (double)
Man City & Liverpool to win (double)
Chelsea, Man City & Liverpool to win (treble)
So you can only get some kind of return from the Trixie bet if at least two of the selections win their respective games. So if only Chelsea were to win out of the three selections, you get nothing because the Trixie bet, as mentioned above, consists of no single wagers.
If Chelsea and Liverpool, two of the three, were to win than that, of course, would mean that you win on one of the Doubles in the bet. You would need all three selections to win their games to get the full return of three winning doubles and a winning treble! So if you are wondering what does Trixie mean in betting, it is just the name of a bet which gives you four separate bets from three selections.
If you wanted to push on for a full coverage bet from the three selections then you would be doing what is called a Patent, which is essentially a Trixie bet with the three single selections thrown in as well.
With different permutations coming out of a Trixie the quickest way to figure things out is just to use a bet calculator. The best way to look at this and assess the value is by looking how much you would get back for yourself if just two of the three selections were to win in the bet. Would it be enough to cover your initial stake? The answer to that would, of course, all lie in the odds that you have selected for your three Trixie selections.
The tip is based on the personal opinion of the author. No success is guaranteed. Please gamble responsibly. 18+
* All mentioned odds were valid at the time of writing. Betting odds are subject to fluctuations. Please check the current odds with the respective bookmaker!
Read the latest football predictions:
- Cardiff v Sheffield Wednesday Prediction & Betting Tips, 18th October 2019
- Sweden v Spain Prediction & Betting Tips, 15th October 2019
- Switzerland v Ireland Prediction & Betting Tips, 15th October 2019
- Greece v Bosnia Prediction & Betting Tips, 15th October 2019
- Romania v Norway Prediction & Betting Tips, 15th October 2019
- Finland v Armenia Prediction & Betting Tips, 15th October 2019
- France v Turkey Prediction & Betting Tips, 14th October 2019
- Bulgaria v England Prediction & Betting Tips, 14th October 2019
- Ukraine v Portugal Prediction & Betting Tips, 14th October 2019