Portsmouth v Birmingham Prediction & Betting Tips, 6th August 20195th August 2019 / lee
Portsmouth v Birmingham EFL Cup Preview, 6th August 7.45pm
The first round of the EFL Cup swings around just after the start of the new league season on the weekend. There could be an interesting clash at Fratton Park as Kenny Jackett’s League One outfit entertain Championship side Birmingham. Can the home side pull this out of the bag as they are kicking off as the favourites? Read our Portsmouth v Birmingham betting tips for more.
Portsmouth v Birmingham Betting Odds*
* (Betting Odds were taken from bet365 on August 5th, 2019 at 10:40 p.m.)
Portsmouth News and Form
Pompey got off to a losing start to the new season with a 1-0 away loss at Shrewsbury in League One on Saturday. They are kicking off as the favourites for this game at Fratton Park. Last season in the first round they found themselves on home soil and suffered a 1-2 loss against AFC Wimbledon. Skip back a season before that and they also made a first-round exit, losing away at Cardiff.
So they haven’t exactly been reliable with their League Cup output. They are now on a four-match losing streak in the League Cup, each of those defeats coming by a one-goal margin. They have lost seven of their last nine games played in this competition (W2). The two wins in that sequence were on home soil, both b against Peterborough in 2014 and then Derby the following season.
Portsmouth v Birmingham Head to Head
The last time these two met was in 2012
There were home wins traded between them that season
Pompey and Birmingham have alternated wins in each of the last eight meetings
Both teams have scored in three of the last eight clashes
Birmingham News and Form
The Blues secured an opening success for the season on the weekend. They made a tricky trip to Brentford and came away with a 1-0 win. After their struggles last season in the Championship, where they finished in the bottom half of the table, they can be forgiven for not paying too much attention to the EFL Cup.
Much like Pompey, Birmingham have had their struggles in the League Cup. They have lost four of their last five played in the competition, their one success in that sequence coming at home against Crawley in 2017. Last season they lost in the first round away at Reading. The away form of the Blues in the competition isn’t great. They have gone W3 L6 in their last nine on the road in the competition.
Portsmouth v Birmingham Tips & Odds
Who will win – Portsmouth v Birmingham Predictions
Pompey have won three of their last four at home against Birmingham, including an FA Cup tie. There’s no recent form to look at for this fixture, so a punt on the home side to come up with something looks the right option.
The tip is based on the personal opinion of the author. No success is guaranteed. Please gamble responsibly. 18+
* All mentioned odds were valid at the time of writing. Betting odds are subject to fluctuations. Please check the current odds with the respective bookmaker!
Read the latest football predictions:
- Wycombe vs Tranmere Prediction & Betting Tips, 20th November 2019
- Newport vs Grimsby Prediction & Betting Tips, 20th November 2019
- Belgium vs Cyprus Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
- Germany vs Northern Ireland Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
- Scotland vs Kazakhstan Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
- Netherlands vs Estonia Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
- Bradford vs Shrewsbury Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
- Gillingham vs Sunderland Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
- Swindon vs Cheltenham Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
Tags: Birmingham, Birmingham EFL Cup, EFL Cup, EFL Cup odds, Portsmouth, Portsmouth EFL Cup, Portsmouth v Birmingham