PAOK v Ajax Prediction & Betting Tips, 6th August 20195th August 2019 / lee
PAOK v Ajax Champions League Preview, 6th August 6.00pm
Despite their impressive showing last season in reaching the UEFA Champions League semi-finals, it’s back to the grind in the qualifying rounds for Ajax. They will be the red hot favourites to power their way through this tie. They are taking on PAOK who have drawn the short straw in the draw. Read our PAOK v Ajax betting tips for more.
PAOK v Ajax Betting Odds*
* (Betting Odds were taken from bet365 on August 5th, 2019 at 10:15 p.m.)
PAOK News and Form
Greece side PAOK are also starting their qualification campaign at this stage. Last season they had a horrible draw in the qualifiers. They started in the second round against FC Basel but produced a thrilling 5-1 aggregate win against the odds. Then they went through to another tough tie in the 3rd qualifying round taking on Spartak Moscow. Again PAOK defied the odds to post a 3-2 aggregate win.
That left them facing Benfica in the play off round. That was the end of the road as PAOK lost 5-2 on aggregate. That meant that PAOK went to the Europa League group stage where they lost all six of their games against Chelsea, Vidi and BATE Borisov. So that was a pretty hefty collapse by them at the end of the day. They have lost their two previous ties against Ajax in European competition as well. PAOK have lost five of their last seven European home games.
PAOK v Ajax Head to Head
There have been two previous ties between them
Ajax won on away goal in 2010/11 after a 4-4 draw
The Dutch side won 3-2 on aggregate in 2016/17
Ajax News and Form
Ajax thrilled and defied all odds along the way through to the semi-finals of last season’s Champions League. They had started in the second qualifying round and just went on a brilliant run. In the main draw, they qualified alongside Bayern Munich from their group after taking two draws against the German powerhouses. Then in the round of sixteen, they tore Real Madrid, the reigning champions at the time, apart in a 6-3 aggregate win.
In the quarter-finals, Ajax knocked off another giant as they beat Cristiano Ronaldo’s Juventus 3-2 on aggregate. They didn’t have the legs to finish the job though as they lost on away goals to Spurs, conceding all three goals in a 3-3 aggregate tie in the second half of the second leg.
Considering that in the three preceding seasons they had failed to get past the third qualifying round, it was some effort from the Dutch side. Ajax, who opened their new domestic season with a 2-2 draw against Vitesse on the weekend, have seen some big departures in the summer with Frenkie de Jong going to Barcelona and Matthijs de Light off to Juventus.
PAOK v Ajax Tips & Odds
Who will win – PAOK v Ajax Predictions
Even though it has been a summer of change for Ajax, we would have to be confident in their ability to go and win this first leg. They are taking on a side with no home form behind them, PAOK being on a four-match European losing streak at the Toumba Stadium. It is worth a flutter on over 2.5 goals as well.
The tip is based on the personal opinion of the author. No success is guaranteed. Please gamble responsibly. 18+
* All mentioned odds were valid at the time of writing. Betting odds are subject to fluctuations. Please check the current odds with the respective bookmaker!
Read the latest football predictions:
- Wycombe vs Tranmere Prediction & Betting Tips, 20th November 2019
- Newport vs Grimsby Prediction & Betting Tips, 20th November 2019
- Belgium vs Cyprus Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
- Germany vs Northern Ireland Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
- Scotland vs Kazakhstan Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
- Netherlands vs Estonia Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
- Bradford vs Shrewsbury Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
- Gillingham vs Sunderland Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
- Swindon vs Cheltenham Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
Tags: Ajax, Ajax Champions League, Champions League, Champions League odds, PAOK, PAOK Champions League, PAOK v Ajax