Liverpool defy the odds to reach UEFA Champions League Final8th May 2019 / lee
Anfield was rocking on Tuesday night. If there was a roof on the stadium, it would have been blown off by the noise and emotion which erupted at the final whistle of a staggering match. Liverpool went into the game trailing Barcelona 3-0 from the first leg of the UEFA Champions League semi-final tie.
So it was a night of hope more than optimism before kick-off, but things started to change after Divock Origi got an early goal on the board for them. Still, only being 1-0 up at half time, there was a long, long way for Liverpool to go, but they got there in the end as they tore into the Spaniards.
Considering that Liverpool were without two key attackers in Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino, the success was even more memorable. They had to produce a bit of a rearguard action at the end of the game as Barcelona desperately sought an away goal that would have put them through to the final. It didn’t come.
Liverpool stayed strong and inflicted another miserable exit from the competition for Barca. Last season Barcelona lost in the quarterfinals against Roma having won the first leg of the tie at the Camp Nou by a 4-1 scoreline. They lost 3-0 in Italy and were knocked out on away goals. This one has to hurt just as much.
Liverpool could have been taken at 50/1 odds with bet365 for a 4-0 correct score before kick off.
That extraordinary show of strength now has seen Liverpool move in from 22/1 odds to just 4/9 to win this season’s Champions League* (Betting Odds were taken from bet365 on May 8th, 2019 at 2:40 p.m.). The Reds will await the winner of the Ajax v Tottenham tie.
The Champions League final is booked for June 1st.
The tip is based on the personal opinion of the author. No success is guaranteed. Please gamble responsibly. 18+
* All mentioned odds were valid at the time of writing. Betting odds are subject to fluctuations. Please check the current odds with the respective bookmaker!
Read the latest football predictions:
- Wycombe vs Tranmere Prediction & Betting Tips, 20th November 2019
- Newport vs Grimsby Prediction & Betting Tips, 20th November 2019
- Belgium vs Cyprus Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
- Germany vs Northern Ireland Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
- Scotland vs Kazakhstan Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
- Netherlands vs Estonia Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
- Bradford vs Shrewsbury Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
- Gillingham vs Sunderland Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
- Swindon vs Cheltenham Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
Tags: Barcelona, Champions League, Liverpool, UEFA Champions League