England 2018 World Cup squad announced16th May 2018 / lee
It has been a pretty bold selection from England manager Gareth Southgate as he announced his 2018 World Cup squad on Wednesday. The England squad selected has an average age of 26 years and as promised, Southgate has gone with form instead of status by selecting the likes of Liverpool’s Trent Alexander-Arnold and Ruben Loftus-cheek who had a great season on loan at Crystal Palace from Chelsea.
The two big names who didn’t make the grade are goalkeeper Joe Hart who even missed out to the injured Tom Heaton on the standby list, and Arsenal’s Jack Wilshere who, because of limited playing time this season, has been overlooked as well.
The immediate thing which catches the eye is the youthfulness of the squad which should help produce plenty of energy and pace with the likes of Marcus Rashford, Raheem Sterling and Jesse Lingard. England are at 18/1 odds* (Betting Odds taken at 5:27 p.m. on May 16th, 2018) to win the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
The opening game for the Three Lions is on Monday, June 18 when they take on Tunisia. England will also face Belgium and Panama in World Cup group G. England are 13/10 odds* (Betting Odds taken at 5:27 p.m. on May 16th, 2018) to top the group.
Goalkeepers: Jack Butland, Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope.
Defenders / wing-backs: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Gary Cahill, Fabian Delph, Phil Jones, Harry Maguire, Danny Rose, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, Ashley Young.
Midfielders: Dele Alli, Eric Dier, Jordan Henderson, Jesse Lingard, Ruben Loftus-Cheek.
Forwards: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Raheem Sterling, Jamie Vardy, Danny Welbeck.
Stand-by: Tom Heaton, James Tarkowski, Lewis Cook, Jake Livermore and Adam Lallana.
World Cup 2018 Winner Odds*
Brazil 4/1, Germany 9/2, Spain 6/1, France 13/2, Argentina 9/1, Belgium 11/1, England 18/1, Portugal 25/1, Uruguay 33/1, Croatia 33/1, bar 40/1* (Betting Odds taken at 5:27 p.m. on May 16th, 2018)
The tip is based on the personal opinion of the author. No success is guaranteed. Please gamble responsibly. 18+
* All mentioned odds were valid at the time of writing. Betting odds are subject to fluctuations. Please check the current odds with the respective bookmaker!
Read the latest football predictions:
- Mansfield v Lincoln Prediction & Betting Tips, 18th March 2019
- AC Milan v Inter Prediction & Betting Tips, 17th March 2019
- Real Betis v Barcelona Prediction & Betting Tips, 17th March 2019
- Millwall v Brighton Prediction & Betting Tips, 17th March 2019
- Champions League Quarter Final Draw & Preview
- Brentford v West Brom Prediction & Betting Tips, 16th March 2019
- Rotherham v Norwich Prediction & Betting Tips, 16th March 2019
- Aston Villa v Middlesbrough Prediction & Betting Tips, 16th March 2019
- Everton v Chelsea Prediction & Betting Tips, 17th March 2019
Tags: Bet365, England, england world cup, russia 2018, world cup 2018