Bookmakers make Villa 8/13 favourites to earn promotion16th May 2019 / lee
It is Aston Villa and Derby who will be stepping out at Wembley in the Championship Play-Off Final. The Championship play-off final is the richest game in English football, with the huge prize being a place among the elite in the country next season.
Premier League football awaits one of these next season. Which one will it be? It is Aston Villa who are the 6/5 favourites with bookmakers to win the Wembley duel* (Betting Odds were taken from bet365 on May 16th, 2019 at 3:16 p.m.)
Derby v Aston Villa Odds*
Aston Villa 6/5
* (Betting Odds were taken from bet365 on May 16th, 2019 at 3:16 p.m.)
Villains see off rivals
Aston Villa met their Midlands rivals West Brom in their Championship play-off semi-final. The Villains took a 2-1 lead at home in the first leg, so went to the Hawthorns with something to defend. They lost 1-0 on the night, as the Baggies came back hard at them. However, there is no away goal rule in the playoffs, which worked in Villa’s favour.
Instead, the game went to a penalty shootout. It was Villa who stormed out to a lead in that as West Brom missed their first two kicks. Tammy Abraham sealed the deal for Villa to give them a 4-3 shootout success. So after a three-year absence from the top flight, Aston Villa have just one more step to go to end that. They are 8/13 for Promotion* (Betting Odds were taken from bet365 on May 16th, 2019 at 3:16 p.m.).
Gritty Rams pull through
Derby though pulled off some heroics in their semi-final against Leeds after looking down and out. The Rams were already 1-0 down in the tie from the first leg at home, and when they conceded the opening goal of the second leg at Elland Road, things looked pretty dire for them. On the stroke of half time, though, substitute Jack Marriott made the most of a mistake in the Leeds backline to tie the game up.
That changed the whole complexion of the game. Derby came out roaring in the second half, Mason Mount striking just after the restart which meant that it was game on. Derby stayed on the front foot picking up a stunning 4-2 win on the night to move through to the play-off final. It would be some achievement for Rams boss Frank Lampard in his first season in charge to get the club up to the top flight.
Head to head
In the head to head between the two sides this season, it is Aston Villa who held a clear advantage. They powered their way to a 3-0 success at Pride Park in the first league meeting, before taking a 4-0 win over them back on home soil. Derby have taken just one win in their last nine games against Villa.
The tip is based on the personal opinion of the author. No success is guaranteed. Please gamble responsibly. 18+
* All mentioned odds were valid at the time of writing. Betting odds are subject to fluctuations. Please check the current odds with the respective bookmaker!
Read the latest football predictions:
- Senegal v Algeria Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th July 2019
- Kilmarnock v Connahs Quay Prediction & Betting Tips, 18th July 2019
- Rangers v St Joseph's Prediction & Betting Tips, 18th July 2019
- Rovaniemi v Aberdeen Prediction & Betting Tips, 18th July 2019
- Celtic v Sarajevo Prediction & Betting Tips, 17th July 2019
- Senegal v Tunisia Prediction & Betting Tips, 14th July 2019
- Algeria v Nigeria Prediction & Betting Tips, 14th July 2019
- Madagascar v Tunisia Prediction & Betting Tips, 11th July 2019
- Ivory Coast v Algeria Prediction & Betting Tips, 11th July 2019