Benfica v Lyon Prediction & Betting Tips, 23rd October 201921st October 2019 / lee
Benfica v Lyon Champions League Preview, 23rd October 8.00pm
Benfica are in some real trouble in Group G as they have yet to earn a point. So this now becomes s massive home game for them as they try and make up some ground. French side Lyon have earned four points from their opening two games and are not going to be a pushover. Read our Benfica v Lyon betting tips for more.
Benfica v Lyon Betting Odds*
* (Betting Odds were taken from bet365 on October 20th, 2019 at 9:02 p.m.)
Benfica News and Form
Benfica needs to step things up because a loss here will cut them adrift badly. Their defeats in the group happened at home against Leipzig and then out at Zenit. It leaves the Portuguese side with only two wins in their last 15 Champions League games (not including qualifying) and that is a W2 D1 L12 record overall in that sequence. That’s poor. They have actually lost 14 of their last 25 European games, home and away combined.
Just once in their last 18 European games have Benfica managed to score more than one goal in a game. The Eagles have suffered just the two losses in their last nine European home games though (W4 D3) which is more of a positive. They are also on a five-match home winning streak against French clubs and will be defending a 14 match unbeaten record on home soil against Ligue 1 victors. Home and away, Benfica have a W7 D2 L2 record in their last eleven against French opponents.
Benfica v Lyon Head to Head
The previous meetings happened in the 2010/11 Champions League
Lyon claimed a 2-0 home win
Benfica claimed a 4-3 home success
In that group stage, Lyon finished second and Benfica third
Lyon News and Form
An unbeaten start for Lyon, who are under new management this season, has been a decent way to kick things off. Brazilian Sylvinho was given the boot in early October and Rudi Garcia took over on the 14th. On match day one Lyon claimed a draw against Zenit thanks to a penalty kick from Memphis Depay, while the former Manchester United forward was on target again to help Lyon win 2-0 at Leipzig.
In last season’s group stage, Les Gones claimed an unbeaten W1 D5 record. They are a tough side to beat and the numbers back that up. They have only suffered two losses in their last 14 European fixtures (W5 D7). Lyon have suffered only two defeats in their last ten on the road. They last went to Portugal in the 2013/14 Europa League winning 2-1 at Vitoria SC. They are W2 D1 L3 in Portugal overall.
Benfica v Lyon Tips & Odds
Who will win – Benfica v Lyon Predictions
Sometimes it comes down to teams happy not to come away empty-handed in European away nights. This looks like one of those for Lyon. A draw out on the road in Portugal would leave Les Gones still in a good position. They are good enough to hold out against a poor Benfica team.
The tip is based on the personal opinion of the author. No success is guaranteed. Please gamble responsibly. 18+
* All mentioned odds were valid at the time of writing. Betting odds are subject to fluctuations. Please check the current odds with the respective bookmaker!
Read the latest football predictions:
- Wycombe vs Tranmere Prediction & Betting Tips, 20th November 2019
- Newport vs Grimsby Prediction & Betting Tips, 20th November 2019
- Belgium vs Cyprus Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
- Germany vs Northern Ireland Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
- Scotland vs Kazakhstan Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
- Netherlands vs Estonia Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
- Bradford vs Shrewsbury Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
- Gillingham vs Sunderland Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
- Swindon vs Cheltenham Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th November 2019
Tags: Benfica, Benfica Champions League, Benfica v Lyon, Champions League, Champions League odds, Lyon, Lyon Champions League