Athletic Bilbao v Barcelona Prediction & Betting Tips, 16th August 201916th August 2019 / lee
Athletic Bilbao v Barcelona La Liga Preview, 16th August 8.00pm
Barcelona begin their La Liga title defence on Friday night with an away trip to Athletic Bilbao. It has been a big summer of change at the Camp Nou in terms of personal. Bilbao managed to themselves a top-eight finish last season but missed out on the European places. Read our Athletic Bilbao v Barcelona betting tips for more.
Athletic Bilbao v Barcelona Betting Odds*
Athletic Bilbao 4/1
* (Betting Odds were taken from bet365 on August 15th, 2019 at 8:15 p.m.)
Athletic Bilbao News and Form
It wasn’t a bad effort from Athletic Bilbao last season who finished eighth in La Liga. Their success was built on their home form. They posted a W9 D 8 L2 record, a fine home return in the last campaign. They went undefeated in their home fixtures against the seven teams who finished above them in the table (W2 D5). In that sequence, they played out a 0-0 draw against Barcelona (and they draw at the Nou Camp too last season).
Only 37% of Bilbao’s home games last season made it over 2.5 goals and just to highlight further how strong of a home side they were, they were unbeaten in their last fourteen home fixtures for the campaign. If they could have matched up with their away form they would have had a great shot at European action.
Athletic Bilbao v Barcelona Head to Head
The two league meetings were both drawn last season
Both teams have scored in just one for the last five clashed
Barcelona have not conceded in their last four four league games at Bilbao
Each of the last four meetings have ended under 2.5 goals
Barcelona News and Form
Barcelona went W11 D6 L2 last season out on the road. Interestingly both of the defeats which they suffered away from the Nou Camp happened at teams who finished in the bottom half of the table. The Catalans averaged just over two goals per away game last season built weren’t particularly watertight in defence as they averaged a goal per game exactly against them on their travels. They took a clean sheet in 42% of road games.
The links with a return move for Neymar from PSG persist. What they have done in the transfer market is add the brilliance of Frenkie de Jong in the middle of the party and have added Antoine Greizmann to their attacking ranks. Those have been big moves. Six of the eleven away wins that Barcelona collected last season in the top flight happened by a margin of at least two goals. Lionel Messi misses the start of the season through injury.
Athletic Bilbao v Barcelona Tips & Odds
Who will win – Athletic Bilbao v Barcelona Predictions
Barcelona are likely going to get the win in this one, but they have been made to hard work hard in their recent trips to Bilbao. So that suggests that this perhaps may not be the big goal-fest. A comfortable home-opening win with a clean sheet would do for the visiting Catalans. Barcelona to win to nil.
The tip is based on the personal opinion of the author. No success is guaranteed. Please gamble responsibly. 18+
* All mentioned odds were valid at the time of writing. Betting odds are subject to fluctuations. Please check the current odds with the respective bookmaker!
Read the latest football predictions:
- Eibar v Barcelona Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th October 2019
- Atletico Madrid v Valencia Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th October 2019
- Leeds v Birmingham Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th October 2019
- Eintracht Frankfurt v Bayer Leverkusen Prediction & Betting Tips, 18th October 2019
- Stoke v Fulham Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th October 2019
- Blackburn v Huddersfield Prediction & Betting Tips, 19th October 2019
- Cardiff v Sheffield Wednesday Prediction & Betting Tips, 18th October 2019
- Sweden v Spain Prediction & Betting Tips, 15th October 2019
- Switzerland v Ireland Prediction & Betting Tips, 15th October 2019
Tags: Athletic Bilbao, Athletic Bilbao La Liga, Athletic Bilbao v Barcelona, Barcelona, Barcelona La Liga, La Liga, La Liga Odds